By: Sebastian Szczurowski
While it seems like social media has been around for a very long time, it has actually only been popular for barely a decade now. With the steady rise of social media over the past few years many companies have been able to strengthen their position in the marketplace by using it to effectively promote their brands and products.
One of the main things that social media allows companies to do is gain faster and more widespread coverage to thousands or even millions of individuals in under the span of a few minutes. This is something that was unimaginable 15 or 20 years ago. The rise of the internet has allowed this rapid increase in media and news coverage outlets across the globe, and has enabled social media to become a powerful tool when it comes to increasing a brand’s visibility within its target market. When a company is able to establish a strong online presence it will become more visible to the public by implementing a communication strategy that helps to promote the company and gain more followers on social media in the long run.
Another well-known advantage that social media has had on the public relations industry is increased communication. Social media allows everyday people to post their thoughts about all sorts of topics with just a click of a button on their phone, laptop, or tablet. These communication channels can also be used to develop relationships with your brand’s consumers and help PR professionals create relevant content that will resonate with their target audiences.
Nowadays, most people have some form of social media account or maybe even have multiple accounts. Today’s social media platforms are designed to provide easy integration for all of their users which allows people of all ages and backgrounds to have access to some form of social media. This has made it much easier for PR professionals to increase awareness of their client’s business and the products and services that are offered.
Social media has allowed many companies worldwide to promote their brands and develop a sense of relevancy with their consumers. Social media allows PR practitioners to track results in real-time and learn more about the people who are interacting with their clients online and how often those interactions are occurring.
While social media is still in its early stages, its value in promoting client branding and as a means for conducting research, are rapidly demonstrating its importance as a strategic public relations tool that is only gaining momentum.
by Jonathan Haile
The new school year begins next week. It’s hard to believe the summer went by so fast, but we can’t help to be excited for a fresh start. Along with the new beginning, UCM will see some fresh faces, whether they’re new freshmen, faculty, non-traditional students, international or transfer students. No matter what group you fall into, welcome.
Twitter is one of the great tools that brings the UCM Community together. Though it’s a vast online community, our university has a made a nice little home on the social networking site. If you enjoy Twitter (or maybe even love it) and you’re proud to be a Mule or a Jenny, here are some Twitter accounts you’ll want to follow.
1. UCM (@UCentralMO) – This is the official Central Missouri Twitter page where you can get updates on what’s happening at your school, your specific college or program, and sometimes a campus organization you’re a part of.
2. UCM Greek Life (@UCMGreekLife) – Greek Life is a huge part of UCM and it’s culture, involving 15% of the student body. Follow and stay updated on news and events from your favorite chapter.
3. Elliot Union (@UCMElliotUnion) – The Elliot Union is the place where everything happens on campus. During the day you have a great mix of places to eat, you can study or socialize, or you can just relax there for a bit. At night it plays host to numerous events: fraternity or sorority meetings, comedians, movies, campus workshops. The university takes great pride in the events and opportunities they bring to students. Follow so you know what is going on.
4. UCM’s Student Recreation and Wellness Center (@UCMsrwc) – Staying active and healthy is important. Our recreation and wellness center gives students access to top-of-the-line exercise equipment as well as offering various classes that keep them active, like Zumba, TRX, Yoga, Morning Rush, and others.
5. The Muleskinner (@MuleskinnerUCM) – UCM’s student newspaper is released every Thursday, but stay updated with day-to-day news by following.
6. The University Store (@UniversityStore) – Do you need textbooks, supplies, school apparel, or perhaps something computer-related? The University Store is where you want to go. Located in the Elliot Union, you’ll always be able to find exactly what you need.
7. UCM Housing (@UCMHousing) – Living on campus can be great experience. Housing is the best account to follow for news, tips, and ideas for living in the residence halls. Make your room fun. Housing will give you great examples.
8. UCM Mules & Jennies (@UCMMules) – Show your school pride and keep up with all of the university’s athletic news. #TeamUCM
9. UCM Career Services (@ucmcareerserv) – Career services is an extremely valuable resource for students in their career development. Students can perform mock interviews, improve their resumes, as well as attend events that teach them to network and successfully present themselves in other profession situations.
10. President Charles “Chuck” Ambrose (@UCMAmbrose) – President Ambrose is always active on Twitter, sharing university news and interacting with students. Let him be an example for how to show Mule Pride.
These clearly aren’t the only UCM-affiliated accounts to follow, but they’ll help you get started. You’ll find that organizations on campus do a great job of interacting with each other. Follow these 10 and you’ll begin to see the rest come up on your feed.
More importantly, make sure you get involved in at least one of the great campus organizations. A Central Missouri experience isn’t complete unless you stretch yourself beyond your classes and textbooks. Opportunities won’t knock unless you build a door, and that’s what you’re here for — to create opportunities. Again, welcome to UCM!