by Jonathan Haile
The new school year begins next week. It’s hard to believe the summer went by so fast, but we can’t help to be excited for a fresh start. Along with the new beginning, UCM will see some fresh faces, whether they’re new freshmen, faculty, non-traditional students, international or transfer students. No matter what group you fall into, welcome.
Twitter is one of the great tools that brings the UCM Community together. Though it’s a vast online community, our university has a made a nice little home on the social networking site. If you enjoy Twitter (or maybe even love it) and you’re proud to be a Mule or a Jenny, here are some Twitter accounts you’ll want to follow.
1. UCM (@UCentralMO) – This is the official Central Missouri Twitter page where you can get updates on what’s happening at your school, your specific college or program, and sometimes a campus organization you’re a part of.
2. UCM Greek Life (@UCMGreekLife) – Greek Life is a huge part of UCM and it’s culture, involving 15% of the student body. Follow and stay updated on news and events from your favorite chapter.
3. Elliot Union (@UCMElliotUnion) – The Elliot Union is the place where everything happens on campus. During the day you have a great mix of places to eat, you can study or socialize, or you can just relax there for a bit. At night it plays host to numerous events: fraternity or sorority meetings, comedians, movies, campus workshops. The university takes great pride in the events and opportunities they bring to students. Follow so you know what is going on.
4. UCM’s Student Recreation and Wellness Center (@UCMsrwc) – Staying active and healthy is important. Our recreation and wellness center gives students access to top-of-the-line exercise equipment as well as offering various classes that keep them active, like Zumba, TRX, Yoga, Morning Rush, and others.
5. The Muleskinner (@MuleskinnerUCM) – UCM’s student newspaper is released every Thursday, but stay updated with day-to-day news by following.
6. The University Store (@UniversityStore) – Do you need textbooks, supplies, school apparel, or perhaps something computer-related? The University Store is where you want to go. Located in the Elliot Union, you’ll always be able to find exactly what you need.
7. UCM Housing (@UCMHousing) – Living on campus can be great experience. Housing is the best account to follow for news, tips, and ideas for living in the residence halls. Make your room fun. Housing will give you great examples.
8. UCM Mules & Jennies (@UCMMules) – Show your school pride and keep up with all of the university’s athletic news. #TeamUCM
9. UCM Career Services (@ucmcareerserv) – Career services is an extremely valuable resource for students in their career development. Students can perform mock interviews, improve their resumes, as well as attend events that teach them to network and successfully present themselves in other profession situations.
10. President Charles “Chuck” Ambrose (@UCMAmbrose) – President Ambrose is always active on Twitter, sharing university news and interacting with students. Let him be an example for how to show Mule Pride.
These clearly aren’t the only UCM-affiliated accounts to follow, but they’ll help you get started. You’ll find that organizations on campus do a great job of interacting with each other. Follow these 10 and you’ll begin to see the rest come up on your feed.
More importantly, make sure you get involved in at least one of the great campus organizations. A Central Missouri experience isn’t complete unless you stretch yourself beyond your classes and textbooks. Opportunities won’t knock unless you build a door, and that’s what you’re here for — to create opportunities. Again, welcome to UCM!
One Twitter account you may want for follow is ours, of course: @UCMInnovativePR. You can also “like” us on Facebook.
Leave a Reply